Degree Programs - FAQ

Before you apply

1. May I apply if I have dual nationalities?
2. I'm not sure whether I'm eligible to apply due to my nationality.
3. I am currently a student and will graduate soon. However, I will not have my diploma and complete transcript until May, June, or July.  May I still apply to NCHU for enrollment in the Fall Semester?
  • Yes, you may. Please upload the certificate of the current student status of your school and an up-to-date transcript in the system. Some schools offer students a “Preliminary Graduation Notice”. That could serve as documentation, however, you still need to follow the NCHU's instruction to turn in an official copy of your diploma and complete the transcript with the authentication to NCHU before August 31st later.
4. What is the minimum language requirements for admission to NCHU?
  • You must possess either Chinese or English language proficiency to deal with school coursework in the future. The minimum language requirements for entering National Chung Hsing University are as follows.
Programs Conducted in Chinese

Suppose you are applying for a program that is conducted in Chinese, you will need to submit a Chinese proficiency certificate at CEFR A2 (Waystage) or above. (Chinese Proficiency Test Comparison Chart).

Test of Chinese as Foreign Language (TOCFL ): Band A Level 2
Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK): Level 4

Programs Conducted in English 

Suppose you are applying for a program conducted in English (including English-taught programs and programs with sufficient English courses to satisfy graduation requirements). In that case, you must submit an English proficiency certificate at CEFR B1 (Threshold) or above (English Proficiency Test Comparison Chart).

TOEFL:itp 500 / ibt 61
TOEIC:670 or relevant English Proficiency Proof

  • Please follow the department proficiency requirements (Available Degree Programs), if there is no requirements for the departments. You can refer to the minimum language requirements of NCHU.
  • Applicants from nations with English as the official or common language don't need to provide English proficiency (List of nations with English as the official or common language).
  • Exam result/certificate of language proficiency must be VALID when applicants are going to apply for admission to National Chung Hsing University. 
  • If applicants cannot obtain the original exam result/certificate of language proficiency by the deadline, please photocopy the transcripts on the official exam website and then upload them to the online application system.
  • If students are unable to maintain good standing in coursework due to language difficulties, they can take Chinese language courses at his/her own expense at the Chinese Language Centre, NCHU. For more information, please contact the Chinese Language Centre at +886-4-22840326 ext. 312/399.
5. I am interested in some departments/institutes/programs. Where and whom I can contact for more information?
6. What are the departments/institutes/programs that international students may apply to?
  • The departments/institutes/programs listed in the "Available Degree Programs" are open for international students. However, some have additional requirements.
7. What are the all-English programs in NCHU?
  • Please refer to English-taught Programs.  For other programs, applicants should have the Chinese ability to cope with academic works. Please note that most of the courses are taught in Chinese with or without English textbooks. For undergraduate programs, applicants must have Chinese proficiency(except for IBPA). 

  • Please check the "Language of instruction" in the "Available Degree Programs".

8. May I apply for the spring semester?
  • Only graduate students can apply for the spring semester.

9. I am studying at other universities in Taiwan. May I "transfer" to NCHU?
  • For bachelor students, you need to pass the Transfer Test held by the Division of Recruitment & Information. Please refer to Here for more detailed information. 

  • For graduate students, you have a choice to apply as an international student at Click here to apply online.

  • It is not guaranteed that all your credits will be admitted. You may check the NCHU Regulation for Credit Exemption.


1. What are the scholarships that international students may apply for?
  • For current NCHU international students, please refer to NCHU Scholarships.

  • For prospective international students, please refer to NCHU Scholarships, Government Scholarships, Project Scholarships, and Other Scholarships. Be aware that there are respective procedures or requirements for the application. Detailed and updated regulations are subject to their terms and conditions.

2. How do I apply for an NCHU scholarship?
  • You just need to check the box "yes" for the question "would like to apply for the scholarship from NCHU" in the application form. NCHU committee members will evaluate your qualification along with your admission. The results of scholarship and admission decisions will both be emailed to you and announced on the website in early June at “Admission Announcement" on the left column. Current students need to apply for NCHU scholarships annually.

3. How do I apply for the Taiwan Scholarship?
4. I am applying for the Taiwan Scholarship. May I apply for the NCHU scholarship at the same time? May I receive NCHU admission earlier to have a better chance of receiving a Taiwan Scholarship?
  • You may apply for an NCHU scholarship at the same time. If you receive both Taiwan Scholarship and NCHU scholarship, your NCHU scholarship will be canceled due to our guideline stating that NCHU recipients cannot receive other scholarships for more than NT15,000 per month.

  • It depends. There are 3 evaluating procedures for international applicants at NCHU. Once the results are finalized, we will process all applicants' admissions as soon as possible.

When you applying

1. What are the procedures taken by NCHU upon receiving international students' applications (tentatively)?
  • Application duration: February 1 to March 31.

  • The Office of International Affairs (OIA) is responsible for document review for the First Stage Evaluation after March 31. Any incomplete application can be rejected at this stage.

  • OIA will pass the application materials to the relevant department(s) for the Second Stage Evaluation. If you apply two departments, both departments will evaluate your documentation, so you need to prepare two sets of documentation. If you are accepted by BOTH departments (Department A is your first choice and Department B is the second): 
    Once you are accepted as a qualified prospective student by department A, you are NOT allowed to relinquish the right of entering department A and choose department B. That is, you are NOT allowed to replace department A with department B as your first choice.

  • The University Evaluation Committee, reviewing application materials, consists of the Directors of every department that accepts international applicants, Deans of the respective colleges, the Dean of the Office of Academic Affairs, and Dean of the OIA.

  • On June 15, the result of admission will be announced on the website.  All applicants will receive an email indicating whether they are accepted or rejected and whether they have been awarded the NCHU scholarship.

  • Please tick your "Intent to Study at NCHU” on-line from June 15 to June 20.

  • OIA mails admission certificates by post to international students in July. The student should present the Admission Certificate to apply for a Taiwan visa.

2. What is "proof of financial sufficiency"?  How much money is "sufficient"?
  • Applicants without any scholarship must provide a financial statement during the last 90 days of at least NT$ 120,000 (USD$ 4,000), around 2 months basic cost of living in Taichung plus tuition fees of one academic year[link]. Scholarship recipients MUST provide a photocopy of the scholarship certificate; if the scholarship stipend is below NT$ 15,000 per month, please submit a financial statement during the last 90 days of at least NT$ 100,000 (USD$ 3,300).

    (1) If a family or other personal sponsor will provide funding, please UPLOAD a bank statement with sufficient funding for at least 6 months total cost, along with the form "Declaration & Certification of Finances (1) for NCHU Admission Application for International Students", verifying sponsorship for full length and cost of the program.

    (2) If an employer, government, or organization provides funding, a signed Letter/Certificate/Statement of Sponsorship detailing amounts and length of sponsorship is required.

  • For the recipients of the NCHU foreign scholarship, it is basically insufficient to cover all your expenses in Taiwan. Students need the annual renewal of the scholarship, which means it is not guaranteed every year. The purpose of the bank statement is to make sure students can afford the tuition fees and living costs even though they do not receive any scholarship support. Please refer to the "Fees" section for reference.  

  • All international applicants requesting visa eligibility documents are required to demonstrate that they have adequate financial resources to cover the cost of their education while in Taiwan.

  • Please notify that usually all stipend of scholarships will be deposited into your account 2 months after you report to NCHU, except sponsors of the scholarships contact their recipients directly.

After Result publication

1. How to receive authentication of my diploma and transcript?
  • Please contact the Taiwan embassy or representative office in your/nearby country. "Ministry of Foreign Affairs" Usually, you need to have your diploma and transcript notarized by your country first, and then bring the certified documents to the Taiwan embassy or representative office for authentication.

2. There is no Taiwan representative office in my country. Where do I authenticate my documents?
  • Please visit the "Ministry of Foreign Affairs" for information on Taiwan Embassies. Call the Taiwan embassy in the nearby country to check whether it is the one handling authentication for your country.

3. My diploma and transcript have already been certified by my school or my government. Is it enough for "authentication"?
  • No. You still need to bring those certified documents to the Taiwan embassy to complete authentication.

4. If I am admitted, may I change department/institute/program before the start of the semester?
  • No. You have to study at the department/institute/program listed in your admission notification.

  • Applying to transfer is only acceptable after finishing the first semester and it's not guaranteed to be approved.

5. What should I do if I am admitted but cannot report in the Fall semester?
  • You may fill in the “Letter of Intent to Study” indicating that you wish to postpone your admission till the Spring semester or Fall semester next year. NCHU permits you to defer one year at most.

6.  How much are roughly the tuition and living costs in NCHU? The school fees (Tuition & Miscellaneous fees & credit fees) are raised to match those of private universities upon the Ministry of Education's new regulation since 2011-2012 academic year.
  • Tuition & Miscellaneous and credit fees USD 1,739/ 6 months (Covered by the NCHU Scholarship if awarded full tuition waiver)  You can also refer to Here.

  • *On-campus accommodation USD 400-500/ 6 months 

  • *Off-campus housing USD 1,500-1800/ 6 months 

  • Computer Lab/ Email Account Fee USD 15/ 6 months 

  • National Health Insurance USD 150/ 6 months 

  • Student Safety Insurance USD 8/ 6 months 

  • Textbooks / stationery USD 160/ 6 months 

  • Living expenses USD 1,500/ 6 months